SMA SOLAR TECHNOLOGY - SMA Will Not Warrant Defective SunnyBoy Inverters

Washington, District Of Columbia 4 comments

SMA America Technologies Corp.which supplies solar power inverters for residential customers and busineses will not honor a warranty on a defective SunnyBoy SWR 2500U invester for solar panels.

I have had two inverters break down in approximately 2.5 years each, They replaced the first original new defective unit I purchased with a rebuilt unit. The unit lasted about 2.5 more years. Now they are saying that they will not honor the 5 year warranty on the replacement unit as the warranty perriod for the original unit covers the replacementunit. In other words the can replace a defective unit with another defective unit, and wipe their hands and walk away.

They want me to pay $3,500 for a new inverter unit that has broken down twice.

Totally unreasonable.We will see if their warranty will stand up in court.

Review about: Sunnyboy Swr2500U Inverter Unit.

Comments

Portland, Oregon, United States #1329234

Same story here.I had the SWR 2100U, which they told me they don't make anymore.

First on went out just before the 5-year warranty, and just like yours, the service company put in a rebuilt inverter and now it's gone too, at just under 5 years. After wasting much time being shuffled back and forth over the phone when I called for a remedy, I was told the same thing. They will only warranty the first inverter and so-long-charlie on the next one. Is there a class action suite on these perhaps?

This company is giving the solar industry a bad name and needs to be taken down.Not to mention the cheesy *** music and crappy commercials they play in your ear while waiting for the almost non-existent customer service.

Nevada City, California, United States #1209933

We had the exact same issue.Our inverter broke AGAIN, and I am unsure what to do.

We have had the system for 11 years now. When one of the inverters first broke down, SMA kept blaming the power grid, then this, then that. They finally rebuilt a unit, which is what we have today... and it broke again.

I saw the LCD screen get dimmer and dimmer over the last 2 years.

The rebuilt unit was never up to par with the other Sunny Boy unit we had; the screen was cracked, the housing was subpar.SMA is a nightmare.

Mill Valley, California, United States #679660

No, I have not had resolution. I am being penalized for being an early adopter of the solar panel technology as within a few months of the installation of my system the California PUC mandated that all inverters have a 10 year warranty. SMA will not honor that eventhough my inverter has been replaced twice since the 10 year mandate and even has a sticker on it saying that it is warranted for 10 years.

Woodland, California, United States #679639

Hello Fellow Disenchanted SMA Inverter Owner.Did you ever get any resolution with your problem.

We are having similar issues & we can't seem to think the inverters are "lemons" or that our system was improperly installed.Would love to hear about your experience.

View more comments